Posted 8 days ago ago by Javier Flores (Arts)
MOSAIC Studio Assistant (Temporary Part-Time)
Start Date: May 29, 2017
End Date: August 11,2017
Blue Star Contemporary, San Antonio’s first and longest-running venue for contemporary art, seeks a temporary part-time MOSAIC Studio Assistant with advanced experience in ceramics to assist the MOSAIC Artist-In-Residence in engaging student participants and assisting in the daily operations of the MOSAIC studio. The successful candidate is positive, professional, passionate, proactive, and organized with effective communication skills. The position reports to the MOSAIC Artist-In-Residence Alex Rubio. About MOSAIC: Blue Star’s MOSAIC Student Artist Program is an after-school studio intensive art program for high school youth in San Antonio, Texas. The MOSAIC studio experience exposes students to the fundamentals of visual art techniques, provides high-caliber exhibition opportunities, expands networks with arts patrons, partners with area nonprofits and organizations, encourages its participants to act as mentors, and collaborates on public art projects.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Must demonstrate proactive and reliable interaction and communication with MOSAIC youth with an emphasis on individual guidance
- Must have expertise in 2D conceptual design elements, research, composition, and design with a focus in drawing, painting, and printmaking
- Demonstrate advanced experience in ceramics, building, throwing and glazing techniques with attention to craftsmanship
- Provide support and mentorship for MOSAIC students in the development of art work and exhibitions
- Assist in the coordination of student documents, projects, events and exhibitions
- Assist in the management of ceramic studio equipment and supplies including: Skutt Kilns, Slab Rollers, Throwing wheel, basic ceramic materials
- Assist in archiving and recording student creative process Specific Qualifications:
- Actively engaged in extending the multiple traditions and emerging practices in 3D artwork.
- 2-3 years experience in ceramic medium with attention to hand building, throwing, glazing, operating and programming computerized kiln.
- Possess excellent communication skills, verbal, written, with attention to 2D and 3D design concepts.
- Must enjoy working with high school students and demonstrate confidence in an instructional studio environment.
- Ability to represent Blue Star MOSAIC program with a high level of integrity and professionalism, work collaboratively in a dynamic studio environment, and uphold institutional policies and support management decisions in a positive manner.
- Demonstrated organizational and task management skills with attention to organizing a safe studio environment.
- Must complete a background check
Application Guidelines: Applicant will submit an application of cover letter, a CV/resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. The successful applicant will be subject to a background check. Application deadline is May 24, 2017
Additional Information: Guided by its mission to inspire the creative genius in all of us by nurturing artists, Blue Star Contemporary is a dynamic, innovative destination for contemporary ideas. Blue Star Contemporary is an equal opportunity employer. This is a temporary part-time position (20 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 1 -5 p.m.), with an hourly rate of $12.00 requiring possible after hours and weekends as needed for events. Position start date is Monday May 29, 2017 with an end date of August 11, 2017. Please email in PDF format of aforementioned application materials to email@example.com.
||Blue Star Contemporary